Monday, November 23, 2015

Tales of a Cryogenically Frozen Vault Dweller: Part 1

Perhaps you, like me, have been spending your free time playing Fallout 4 instead of doing hobby time re-basing miniatures or getting in practice games of Kings of War, Age of Sigmar, Malifaux, or whatever miniature game you moved onto with the death of Warhammer 8th Edition. I know the game has been out for two weeks now and many people will have put in more than the roughly 24 hours that I have already put into the game. In fact, there may be a few among you who have already finished the main quests, reached level 50, and even beaten the game. But, I’m not even close.
But as I have been putting more time into Fallout 4 than other hobby projects, I didn’t want to slip on providing you with interesting and entertaining content. With that, I present a new ongoing blog post (which will most likely be updated more than the hobby posts): Tales of a Cryogenically Frozen Vault Dweller. In these posts, I will be providing basic and entertaining first person information from my Fallout 4 playthrough with as minimal spoilers as possible (though some will be inevitable). For background information, I made a combination intelligent/charismatic/perceptive character with at least 5 points in each attribute. I am slightly lucky, not very agile or strong, but can endure a little bit of punishment. Enjoy!


Day 1:
Dear Pipboy,
Today, I awoke to the sounds of klaxons blaring in my cryogenic pod. This was weird as I don't remember choosing to enter the pod. Nor do I have any understanding of what is going on. I vaguely remember some information about nuclear weapons falling and running into Vault 111. I also vaguely remember something about a wife and a son. His name seems to be Shaun. But I’m not sure. Shaun doesn’t seem like a name I would use for a child.
Looking around the room I noticed a name tag above my pod. It reads: Locke. There is no last name. I’m stoked. That is a badass name. Definitely not the name of someone who would name their son Shaun. Putting two and two together, my child’s name must really be something else with an “S”, like Seamus. Being in a cryogenic pod for who-knows-how-long has really messed up my memory.
Oh shit! More klaxons. Time to get out of this vault. I followed the easily set out path and grabbed a few random food items and tools. I especially like the wrench. That seems like something useful. While stumbling around the vault I also found a pistol and a few bullets. I take a few pot shots. Apparently I was a god-damn gunslinger before the cryogenic pod as I’m an amazing shot. Life is going to be easy outside the vault!
What the fu-giant ass cockroaches are all up in my hallway. How the hell did these things make it into the vault? And who let cockroaches grow into the size of corgis? If that overseer was still alive he would have a lot of explaining to do. I sure hope that one of these things didn’t manage to find and eat Seamus. That would really put a damper on this adventure.  
I managed to escape the vault with little effort. Life doesn’t seem so hard. Now where to go. I am pretty sure I lived somewhere close to here. Maybe I’ll just head of south and see what happens.
Oh look, a cliff. Was I able to fly prior to being frozen? Nope! There goes some food stuff. And I was really looking forward to that crap for dinner.
Continuing South: life still seems easy. Can’t fly, but I can walk, run, climb and swim. I should be able to figure out what is going on once I find someone else to talk to. Wait. What’s that sound? It sounds like a dog. I love dogs. I used to have a dog before my wife made me get that stupid robot that wouldn’t even change Seamus’ diapers. What’s the point of a household robot if it still makes me change shitty diapers?
Wait, that’s not a dog. Unless of course dogs have lost half of their faces due to nuclear mange and have gained an distinct taste for human meat. Oh, and he brought friends. Lots of friends. Luckily I have some magic bending bullet time that allows me to shoot these damn dogs directly in the head. And now I have run out of bullets. These last two dogs keep running around me snarling and I don’t know if I can just bring myself to bash in a dogs head. Ow, that was a part of my ass. Okay, head bashing is back in. All the dogs are down and I look like I hiked through a thorn bush for several hours. Thankfully there is no one to see me bleed onto my only clothing. Blue with red splotches does not a first meeting outfit make!
Continuing South I found a street. And on this street are several houses. I’m sure one of these was mine. But I don’t remember painting mine all rust colored and I’m pretty sure my house had things like walls and a door. Also, there was a big maple tree in the front yard I was going to put a treehouse in for Seamus when he got older. Is he older now? How long has he been gone? How long have I been wandering the wasteland? 20 minutes, 30 even? It seems like forever. I hope that I find something that gives me a clue as to what the hell is going on. Until then I guess I will just start searching each of the houses for tin cans. Because, you know, you can never have enough empty tin cans being carried in a torn trash bag over one's shoulder if you want to make it in the Wasteland.
I wandered from house to house until this annoying robot yelled at me. Not only was it annoying, but it also seems to be the old robot that doesn't change diapers my wife made me get. Can my life get any worse? Yes, apparently, as the robot demanded that I follow him around to kill more cockroaches and gigantic flying bugs. What has this world become? THERE ARE GIANT EFFING BUGS EVERYWHERE!!! After killing the bugs, the robot told me that I should go check out some city further to the South. Also, I leveled. I’m sure of it. I heard a drum roll and everything. With my new found power I determined that I must be pretty good at hacking computer terminals. This seems like something I would do. I feel smart. But I'm not quite sure that this is the best way to go yet. Do they still have computers in the Wasteland? I hope so. I mean, there are still robots so some understanding of computer components should help me in my future endeavors. Whatever those may be.
Ugh, that stupid robot is still yelling at me to go South to a place called Lexington. Do I really need to leave? I mean, I found a sweet stash of food and water. At least enough to last me for a few days and there is a bed in my house. A bed is much better than a cryogenic pod so I am already doing better than when I woke up. Though the TV doesn’t work. I should be able to crash for a few days before deciding how I’m going to live my new life. I think I will just sleep on it.

. . . To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...