Thursday, February 27, 2014

WaaaghPaca 2014: Round #3 (The Quick One)

For Round 3 of Waaghpaca I played the shortest game I have ever played. The game was so fast that I can't remember my opponent's name. All I can remember about him was that when he realized that we were playing the Fortitude scenario and saw that most of my Fortitude was either in fast cavalry or on flying mounts, he started complaining about how bad this game was going to be. I just kind of stared blankly at him at this point as anyone who plays Warriors of Chaos is never allowed to complain about anything, regardless of your army list.
His list for the tournament was a Horde of Chaos Chosen Warrior marked Tzeentch; large unit of Chaos Warriors marked Khorne with two hand weapons; Level 4; Chaos Lord on foot; Chaos Hero BSB on foot; 2 normal chariots; and one Gorbeast chariot marked Nurgle. That is one nasty close combat list (not the most broken chaos list ever, but still really effective).

Deployment:
For deployment, he deployed in a straight line across his deployment zone with the Chosen holding one flank and the chariots on the other. The Khorne warriors were deployed in the center next to a one of the three buildings on the table (another thing he complained about).

Two armies with all their weight pretty much directly across from each other.
I deployed counter to him with my fast units on the flanks and all my monsters and characters in the middle, ready to hit any unit that got to close. As you can see from the picture above, all three monsters were placed directly across from the Khorne warriors with both characters on the flank closer to the building. I won the roll-off and got to go first.

Turn #1: Dark Elves
I started off this game assuming that I wouldn't be able to get into combat for  several turns. With that in mind, all the fast cavalry raced off to the flanks to trial and whittle down the chariots and warrior units. I wanted to give my characters and monsters extra protection so that they couldn't be charged by two units and swung towards the building, using its bulk to protect me from the Tzeentch chosen. The only crazy move I had was to march the medusa straight at the frenzied Khorne warriors and placed him at an angle that would have had the warriors looking at an empty space.

All right team, everyone split.
Dark Elf magic and shooting was fairly ineffective and I was able to only kill one warrior and put one wound on a normal chariot. I was also unable to sing, because my MOI had to go in Dark Riders so it was going to be a while until I locked down that bonus point.

Turn #1: Warriors of Chaos
My opponent, completely misunderstanding the nature of frenzy, charges the medusa with the Khorne unit (which also had his Lord, BSB, and MOI - so 7 Fortitude in the unit). The rest of his army moved forward slightly, preparing for later turns.

It's a trap!
In the magic phase, I was able to sing to stop the Level 4's spell (getting the first song out of the way).

In combat, the warriors destroyed the medusa and were forced to overrun. Apparently, he thought that if he won, he would be able to reform, but - because his unit was frenzied - he was mistaken.

Turn #2: Dark Elves (The one where I win)
Everything that can, charges the Khorne unit. The charges include all my monsters and characters in a combined front, flank, and rear charge.

That one's going to leave a mark.
With magic, I destroy the chariot marked nurgle.

In combat, I utterly destroy the Khorne unit. Between two breath weapons, four monsters, two characters, and four stomps, there is not a single model left. My opponent is now left with one Fortitude and the game ends (in less than 15 minutes including deployment).

My opponent, frustrated at the game being over, then begins to complain about my army and how stupid it was. I give him the "you're playing WoC, please be quiet" look, pack my stuff up, and proceed to the late night festivities before anyone else has really even gotten in to their game. Unfortunately, because the game ended so quickly, I was unable to get the bonus point for signing three times. After Day 1, I am sitting at a middling 10 battle points out of a possible 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...