Tuesday, December 23, 2014

WaaaghPaca 2015: Painting Update

So Waaagh!Paca 2015 is on the horizon and I have my eyes set on finishing up a good portion of my Wood Elves army for the event (though I may lean Eternity King if I like how it plays). To that end, I have been painting (when time allows) and trying to finish up at least a few key units. Right now I am working on finishing three core units of Glade Guard and a Sisters of the Thorn bunker.


My plan for the Glade Guard is to eventually have six units of ten models (with full command options) but as that looks fairly boring on the table top, I wanted to have some type of unit filler. My end idea was to have a small 40 x 40 mm tree in the unit which would also help identify the unit's choice of enchanted arrow while also providing more height to the army as the elves look small on the table.

My Wood Elf army is fall themed with lots of red, brown, and yellow, so I wanted the trees to look the same and really pull the theme together.

Here are the start of the trees. I cut and shaped GW trees to fit on 40 mm bases and used green stuff to help fill in cracks and edges. It being fall in Lothern, there are less leaves and small leave bunches than the full kit makes.

Trees undergoing base coats of brown and choice of ugly yellow or dark red leaves.
Closer shot.

Now, time to wash the whole model with Devlin Mud to give the leaf recesses a really dark, dirty, and decaying look. Very much in vogue in the fall forest.

Devlin Mud makes everything better.
I chose to start with the yellow tree to work on practicing yellow highlights and slowly built up various yellow colors on the leaves and edges. The picture is not the best (because I have yellow lights downstairs) but the leaves give a more defined light yellow to brown look like the tree is in the final days of fall.

So many leaves to paint.
And what kind of trees might have yellow leaves in fall you ask? Well, those with striking white bark  of course! So away I painted slowly building up the white until I had a nice looking tree, ready for basing.

White bark just makes everything look better around it.
Closer side view of the tree. I need to re-do the symbol on the book still.
For the red tree, I wanted to go with an array of colors so I started with just a single branch to make sure that I liked the color combination. After finishing the full branch, I really like the feel of this tree and I just need to sit down after Christmas and finish it so it so I can cross it off my list of models to finish.

All the colors of the fall rainbow?
Finished branch, really happy with how it fits with the army theme.
The last tree that I am working on its going to be a dead tree oozing poisonous fungus to act as a tree to denote Hagbane arrows. I have only just barely put this model together and need to get working on this one soon.

Why don't I get any paint?

Well there it is! All of the painting progress of the last few weeks to get my army prepared for Waaagh!Paca 2015 and the rest of the 2015 tournament scene. Here's hoping that I have much more done in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...