Friday, January 9, 2015

Waaagh!Paca 2015: Painting Update #2

Another few weeks have passed, and now I have even more of my Waaagh!Paca 2015 army painted. Let's take a look at what progress I have been able to make over the winter holidays.

One of the first projects I needed to finish up was the first tree unit filler. The tree was painted, but I still needed to base the model. I used some leaves, moss, and dry brushing to bring out the forest base so that it would fit in with the rest of the army. I love the look of the paper leaves, they are just amazing.
Fake leaves are awesome!

After finishing one unit filler, I moved on to the second tree. First, I finished up all of the leaves, using the red/orange fall leaf color scheme I had decided on last time.
It's like looking outside your living room, only smaller.

I then went to work on trying to build up realistic looking bark. My plan here was to have a more red based tree, so I used reddish browns in varying layers to add depth to the bark. I then used light brown/grey colors on the most exposed pieces of bark to give the tree a more life-like appearance. After finishing this off, I went back and washed down a few areas to make the knots and holes darker. When I finished, I ended up with a neat looking tree that should really add some more pop to the archer unit.
It's a tree!
A pulled back view, showing the contrast of the leaves with the bark.

After finishing the tree, I went on to base it similar to the other unit filler but with a few more leaves and a focus on the rock pieces to add some more contrast. I think this one came out pretty good when all is said and done.
Finished!

The final project I was working on was basing my mounts for the Sisters of the Thorn unit. Although this unit is not making an appearance at Waaagh!Paca, it will be a standard unit in my army at 2500 points. I based them in the same manner I based the trees, going from a brown base and then adding various bright colored foliage. I think the colored bases really help make the little bit of color on the models really pop.
This is what I was starting with.
Bases finished!

Next week I hope to have another painting update that shows a few completed units as there are only two painting weeks left before the tournament! Time to buckle down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...