Friday, October 5, 2012

Books

It's Friday, and I am leaving for Portland, OR, in a few hours to enjoy my three-day weekend (Monday being Columbus Day and all). As such, I will not be home to get in any games or work on my army. Though, do not fret, I did tell myself I have to get an initial preliminary army list done for the Alamo so I can play test it for the next few weeks. So when it is finished I will provide a full breakdown on what I intend to take, and why, including magical items, etc. If you happen to be attending the Alamo GT in November, pay attention, and then you will know exactly how to beat me. Until the dice actaully roll, that is.

So instead of any Warhammer, today I thought I would do a few quick book reviews of things I have been reading recently. I somehow manage to average reading a book every two weeks (this may have something to do with long bathroom breaks at work) and so in the last month and a half I have read quite a bit. Anyways, this is what I have been reading.

Supergods, Grant Morrison

This book is by comic book writer Grant Morrison, who is famous for his Arkham Asylum comic, along with others. It was an interesting read tracing the history of comic books, comic book companies, and superhero characters from the 1930s through the new-wave of Marvel movies. Though I was suprised how much Morrison linked certain events in comic book history to his own life. Thus, this reads like a combination autobiography/history/philosophy.




Destiny of the Republic, Candice Millard

This is a history of James Garfield's presidency. It begins with him in the Senate and ends with his death during office due to the hands of an assassin. Although the assassination is important to the narrative, the book focuses on the impact of Garfield's death in medical and techonological advancements. I never had any indication that his death was one of the galvanizing forces behind the advancement of metal detectors, and eventually x-ray technology to find bullets within the human body. Great read that flowed naturally. After reading this book I immediately went and purchased Millard's other book The River of Doubt about Theodore Roosevelt.


The Windup Girl, Pablo Bacigalupi


Futuristic world controlled by calorie companies that control genetic food advancements during a time of rampant and epic plagues that target all forms of life, including animals and vegitation? Count me in! This was a fantastic read and I can see how it won so many awards. It is well written, thought provoking, and scary (it does not take much effort to believe in the world he was created as a possible future).

Go forth, and read this now.



Boneshaker, Cherie Priest

The first book in Priest's "Clockwork Century" story line, Boneshaker, is an entertaining read. Rarely intelligent, and reads at times like a crime procedural where in the last five minutes (or in this case 30 pages) everything is wrapped up without any real explanation of how the characters got their suspect (so to speak). Despite that misgiving, it was a fun read and a great base to start an overarching narrative driven by a fantastical world. Steampunk and alternative history, particularly about the civil war, are first and foremost the heart of this novel. If you want something to read over a weekend while you relax, this is perfect. Also, there are zombies! and who doesn't love zombies.

Dreadnought, Cherie Priest
The second book in the same world. This time involving different characters with a much more action oriented drive. I enjoyed this book much more. And there are more zombies!









Ganymeade, Cherie Priest

Another book in the same series. Somewhere I missed the third book, as I think this is actually the fourth. I guess that just means I will have to get that one next when I get around to going to the bookstore. This is my favorite of the books so far. Zombies, New Orleans, an interesting take on true civil war history: what is not to love? This book also introduces several new characters, as well as expanding on a few old ones for a great tale of southern intrigue.






Next up on my list of reading material:

A Dance with Dragons, George R.R. Martin
Fear to Tread, James Swallow
A Brief History of Secret Societies, David V. Barrett





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...