Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Busy, Busy, Busy

I am busy! Busy with work, busy with life, and more importantly, busy with packing everything I will need for the Alamo GT this weekend. Packing for a tournament of this size (over 60+ players) is much different than packing for a game down at your Friendly Local Gaming Store ("FLGS"). Tournament packing requires much more thought and involves many more stages of "packing" before you and your army are ready to travel. This post is dedicated to my tournament preparations so that you can see what it is like to pack for a big tournament.

Step 1: Initial Army Prep

This step involves making sure you have all of the models you are going to need for your army ready to go. At this stage I set up the army on the table in my workroom with all the units together and with all characters in front so I can go down my submitted list like a checklist. I like to do this stage earlier in the week if possible. You don't want to be trying to find a model the night before you leave only to realize you never got around to putting it together or painting it.

Case in point: last Wednesday I submitted my list for the tournament. On Friday, I began pulling out all the models that I would need to have for the tournament and realized with recent changes to my list I was five painted models short of what I had submitted (stupid, I know). Thus, I spent most of my weekend, and last night, painting five additional models to make sure I had a fully painted army. Had I waited until tomorrow night to grab all my models I used in this list I wouldn't have realized 5 models weren't painted and I would have had to scrounge some suitable replacements up, or given up a portion of the paint points.

Step 2: Pack the Army

This step involves actually packing the army into its transport case. I use the standard foam inserts from the old army transport cases because I haven't gotten around to getting a newer transport. For this army, I had to get some new pieces of foam for the units on horses so that they wouldn't break in travel. I am slighlyt obsessive at this step as I mark each model and the spot it goes in so that when I am packing my army back into the case everything goes where it is supposed to. I pack the army separately from everything else so that I know the army is done and complete and won't be needing anything else.

Step 3: Gaming Supplies Prep

This step involves making sure all the gaming supplies that I will need for the tournament is grouped together and printed off. This step is when I make sure I have a: (1) copy of the rulebook; (2) a copy of my army book; (3) any templates that my army may possibly use (even from miscasts); (4) dice, dice, and some extra dice; (5) special markers (for wounds, declared charges, spell effects, etc.); (6) spell cards for my chosen lore; (7) spell cards for the main lores (I have full copies of all the spell lores that are available and take these so I always know what spells my opponents have and what the spells' effects and boosts do each and every magic phase); (8) copies of the most recent FAQs (which I am currently uploading in PDF form to my Nook as I write this); (9) tape measure; (10) paper and pen; (11) a calculator (if your phone doesn't have one); and (12) copies of my army list (one for each round and an additional copy for myself in case the tournament does not provide them).

These are all the necessities I need for tournament play over two days. If you see something on this list that you don't pack with you, you might want to re-evaluate your tournament supplies. I have found all of these items useful. You would be suprised how many people come to tournaments without copies of the rules or their army book, or even a template that they use every game.

For this tournament I will also be taking a separate notebook and a camera to take pictures for this blog. Because I am considering these items gaming supplies they are included with this list.

Step 4: Pack Gaming Supplies

In this step I pack all of my gaming supplies. All markers, dice, templates, etc. go into the army transport pockets. All of the paper products (rules, FAQs, etc.) go into a folder which then goes into the army transport. After this step I am completely packed for the tournament as it concerns my gaming needs. I like to accomplish this step at least a day before I travel in case any small thing I may have forgot pops into my head. I also like to finish this early so when I leave really early in the morning for those early flights I know that, if nothing else, I will be able to play in the tournament solely with the one army transport.

Step 5: Pack the Less Useful Things

This stage is when I pack clothes and amenities for travel. I usually always forgot things at this stage (like an extra pair of socks), but as this is a gaming tournament I am less concerned if I have to wear a T-Shirt a second time over the weekend. I also make sure I have all the important flight stuff taken care of at this time (i.e. personal ID, ticket, etc.). Nothing worse than getting to the airport without your ID or ticket and having to go back and get it. This isn't as much of a problem as I just put everything in my wallet. But I have plenty of horror stories from travelling compatriots who left all their trip money or plane ticket or ID on the counter because they were just having a quick cup of coffee before I picked them up. Don't be that guy! Seriously.

Step 6: Reread the Rules

At this stage of tournament preparation I should already be on the plane, or waiting for it to take off. This is the time when I am most excited about the tournament and am constantly thinking about my army and potential opponents. This is also the time I reread the rulebook, army book, and updates to the FAQs. Especially with this tournament I will be rereading all of the FAQs on the plane in case some issue comes up during a game.

I reread the rulebook this close to the tournament for two reasons. The first is to know the page numbers and direct rules for those rules I use the most. With this army I need to know exactly how fast cavalry work, and where in the rulebook those specific rules are because many opponents are not used to all of their special rules. This way I can direct my opponent to those pages if they have a question without taking up lots of game time trying to find the rules.

The second reason is that sometimes I forget rules, or more precisely, I don't think about the proper way a particular rule should be used because it is something I don't run up against very often. For example, as my army is avoidance based I don't really know the combat rules as well as I should so I take that opportunity to refresh myself on all those rules in case something bad happens at the tournament and I need to know them. This has helped me multiple times in cases where I happened to read a rule the day before the tournament that is now directly relevant to the game I was playing (like preventing an opponent from reforming in combat because he was engaged on seperate flanks).

Step 7: Have Fun!

Once I actually get to the tournament I remind myself that no matter what happens that what I am playing is a game, that I travelled for the oppotunity to play 5 games against new people, and that I should be having fun. If I am not having fun, then what is the point of travelling to a new city and giving up my weekend.

See you all after the Alamo!
*Additionally, I would like to thank everyone who has been visiting my blog. West Coast Warhammer has just surpassed 1000 views in one month of activity. I think this calls for some kind of celebration. Let's see what I can come up with.*

2 comments:

  1. Making spell lore cards for opponents' rulebook spells is actually a pretty good idea.

    I always take superglue along as well. It has never failed to come in handy, either for me or for another player who needed some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, this is exactly why I try and pack a little early. I completely forgot about superglue and kicker. Thanks for the reminder. Now I just have to fit these items into my quart size bag with the rest of my toiletries.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...